Sunday, March 30, 2008

From Tom Stiles, Seattle

On Sunday March 2nd I walked in Seattle, at the end of the day, to honor the spirit of the Fear-No-More walks. I walked in awareness of my surroundings, of people passing, of my own breathing, of the tenuousness of everything visible. I walked without fear, and for an end to fear; I walked for an end to walks to end fear, for the day when this will not be necessary. I didn't walk in the natural countryside, I walked in the city, in my neighbourhood of thirty years, on a busy street from work to home, and back through the side streets. I walked in a place where the very architecture of buildings and pathways of traffic are designed by human fear, egoity and separateness, and I walked for an end to that. I walked in a place made of human anxiety and disregard for life. I walked in among the ghosts of thirty years of living, loving, trying, working, and persisting around here, without fear.

Thanks for the gift of this walk... looking forward to another one, perhaps a bit longer and further. There's a great park in a ravine nearby that affords a more contemplative walk. There's also a bike trail that goes up around the top of the lake bordering Seattle on the east.

love, Tom